Sunday, January 4, 2009

My first trail experience

I just got back from a terrific run on trails here in Lawrence. This was honestly my first run on trails and I must admit, I think I'm hooked. There's something about running in nature with nothing but you, your thoughts, and peacefulness. No iPod or other annoying everyday sounds to disturb you. It was amazing. I can't understand how we're all not hooked on trail running. Granted, it's a bit tougher and you have to be a little more alert, otherwise you can easily twist or even break an ankle. But to be in that type of environment running cannot be compared to any other experience. If anyone has never tried it, I highly recommend it.

The only problem is I don't know for sure how long it was, but my best guesstimate is 8.5 miles. Today is my long run/endurance day according to a schedule I had made on Runner's World. I look forward to soon purchasing a Garmin Forerunner 305, and that way I'll have a really good idea about my running distance on trails.

I hope to post many more of my experiences on trails on the near future. Tomorrow is my rest day, but perhaps Tuesday I'll head out there again! I'm totally sold on trails.

0 comments:

Post a Comment