Friday, February 20, 2009

Training time

Like many others, I sometimes get frustrated at the amount of time I actually have to run.  Now, When I actually sit and reread that sentence, it reminds me that I'm being a baby.  If I really wanted to, I can be at the gym at 5:15 a.m. when it opens.  But do I?  No.  At the moment I say it's because it's too cold outside in the a.m. hours, especially that early.  But I'm not sure how much I believe that excuse.  

I don't really have a specific time I need to be in the lab, but I prefer being there by 9 a.m.  And by going through my morning routine, I figure that a gym time of 6:30 or 7 a.m. is way too late.  I never run any time shorter than 1 hour (this is my rule and it just seems to work better for my body).  Add in some stretches before and after the run and we're looking at probably 1:20:00 at least.  Let's forget about seeing someone I know and shooting the breeze with them for a moment!  That's outta the question, especially if I'm on a tight schedule.  If that does happen, add another 10 minutes.  1:30:00.  I live about 8 minutes or so from the gym when there's NO traffic (and in the a.m. hours on campus you can forget about no traffic).  So add another 12-15 minutes getting back home.  1:42:00-1:45:00.  See, without eating and showering we're already at 8:45 a.m.  When I sat down and figured this out a few weeks ago, I think the time which is somewhat comfortable is no later than 6 a.m.  I completely realize that this seems silly since I only run one hour (more or less--there are days when I feel like more, but let's assume the average morning is 1 hour) and want to be in the lab by 9!  Believe me, I totally realize this.  But when you sit down and do the math, it works against me, as I've demonstrated above.  

So the point is I'm stuck, at the moment, with running only once a day.  The plan is twice--once in the morning and again in the evening--but it seems to be quickly fading away.  And the primary reason can be summed up in one word: thesis.  For those who don't know, I'm trying to defend in May, and in order for that to happen, I've got a lot of work to do.  Unfortunately.  But I don't think it will ever get to the point where I'm not running at all, so I'm happy for that.  None of this has changed the fact that I'm working hard on hill workouts.  They're done on treadmills, but I think treadmills are brilliant in this way.  Need hills?  Hit the treadmill for one hour or longer between 7% and 15% incline.  Then hit the trails.  See the difference in power and endurance.

I'm trying to stay positive about training time.  I'm sure it'll all work out.  :-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment