Thursday, March 26, 2009

Pains never end

The human body is definitely something to marvel at. No doubt about it. I find that it can be running as a smooth well oiled machine, then suddenly something small turns into something larger; like an outbreak of sorts. I find this said outbreak to be the latest case.

After my run on Saturday I noticed this area behind my knee to be a bit tight (okay, a lot tight) and a bit painful (okay, at times a lot painful). It feels like it's an extension of my calf muscle. I figured I'd take Sunday off and take it from there. Well, it's currently Thursday and still no running.

It's not so much that it's painful, but when I take stairs up and down I can still feel it enough to have me concerned about a casual run. Maybe some sort of cross-training like the elliptical machine, but, again, I don't want to strain anything a week before the race. It does indeed feel like if I would do the elliptical, I'd feel it afterwards. Hell, for that matter, even if I did the bike I'd feel the same way. I don't know for sure, but I'm just going off the feeling in that strained muscle.

If I don't get as many miles as I'd like this week, that's neither here nor there as far as I'm concerned. And besides, I should be tapering. I realize this doesn't mean "don't run," but if there's a pain that has me concerned, I won't take a chance. I'll do around 30 next week and see how it feels. But this will be an easy 30 for obvious reasons.

If the pain persists until late next week, I'll be really concerned about the race. I'll still run, but I may stop at the marathon length. I hope it doesn't have to get to that extreme. I really want to push through the 50 with only "normal" pains, not ones that I am bringing to the race with me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mircea, what you have in the bank as of about two weeks before the race -- maybe three -- is what you're going to run on. Just take it real easy, especially with that injury. Main thing now is to be really rested for the 50. i wouldn't do any serious running after Saturday. Nothing at all after Wednesday. Many ultra runners find that's the hardest thing of all. See you there!

west birch said...

Thanks for your comment, Gary. I will definitely take it easy. I feel like running tomorrow, but I may try the elliptical for half hour and see how I feel from there. If I feel good, I'll do another 15 minutes. My main concern is this tightness returning during my run next weekend. Can't have that. And I'll run a few light ones next week.

I'll take your advice and not run after Wednesday. Thanks for the tip.

Hone said...

You will do great. Try not to leave the marathon as an option. I ran a 50 miler a while back and my IT seized up at mile 20. I was hobbling along for the next 11 miles because I felt I did not have any choice but to drop at the 50k. I was in so much pain and it was so frustrating because I flew all the way to San Jose to run the thing. Anyways when I hit the 50k I decided to just walk a little further. The IT actually cleared up and I ended up with a solid time at the 50.

Just take it easy with that leg till the race and realize that you are going to suffer greatly at the 50. I think you said this was your first one. Even if it takes you all night just finish the damn thing.

I will send you positive vibes.

Post a Comment